Fake Emerald Crab?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Mobalized, Jan 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

A quick google search didnt yield any promising results so I figure I will ask this.

Have any of you heard of fake emeralds? They look essentially the same but have more pointed ends on their pinchers and are known to eat other inverts and other creatures in the tank?

Reason I ask is because after I bought a emerald and put it in my tank 2 days later my conch of 4 months was eaten, bought a new one 2 days later it was eaten. Nothing else in the tank changed. A guy at the LFS who is a very reputable hobbyist claims there are fake emeralds.

2. Click Here!

3. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

In my experiences, Emeralds will eat whatever they can get their claws on.

4. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

+1 thats why mine is grounded. He's in the sump today for nipping my zoos

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

General Rules:
    Flat tips on claws = Herbivore (unless starving)
    Pointed tips on claws = Carnivore

I'm sure there are green crabs out there that are carnivores (aka fake emerald crabs). The other thing is that your conch may have died and the emerald was scavenging. How long have you had it/ how big is it?

6. Mobalized

Small conch had for 4 months, 2 days after new emerald conch was eaten. Bought a new conch with2 days that conch was eaten also. Don't think conchs are just mysteriously dying after something was added to the tank. Just trying to find out if anyone has heard of fake emeralds. He doesn't eat algae really either.

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

If is a true emerald he will have flat tips to his claws, used to grab algae. if there pointy then u might have a problem. My emeralds have never hurt anything in any of my tanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Mobalized

I bought 2 within a week of one another. One went in my 90g and decimated some hair algae, the other went in my 29g and did nothing for the algae but conchs started getting decimated.

10. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

...sounds like you might want to find a new home for him. I've never heard the term "fake emerald", but I am sure there are carnivorous green crabs out there that you may have gotten instead.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FYI, the emerald is a member of the dreaded mithrax family of crabs.

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

True "emerald crabs" will have red inside their elbow joints.

[​IMG]