Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
It is very apparent that there are a bunch of new 3GS's out there with very warm screens/yellowish tint. It appears those shipped China have good screens, while those shipped from Tennessee have the yellow tinted screens.

Soooooo let's find out! Please list this info to help:
1. Does your phone have a yellow tint?
2. When was your phone shipped and from where?
3. What model/color 3GS did you order?
4. When was it made? (check the third-fifth #'s of your serial number)

Thanks hopefully we can find out if it's just a certain batch or just randomly varies.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Didn't the first iPhone have a warmer screen? Then the 3G had a "blue tint" which pissed you people off. Now it seems as though it may be back to normal and there is bitching again? :confused:

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Didn't the first iPhone have a warmer screen? Then the 3G had a "blue tint" which pissed you people off. Now it seems as though it may be back to normal and there is bitching again? :confused:

wow you've got it all backwards(1st had blue/good screen, 2nd OK slight yellow tint, some 3rd gens have horribly bad warm screens)...and come on, I'm not complaining, I'm being productive and trying to pinpoint the defected units...so thanks for not helping

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Didn't they all come from china?, Tennessee was just where the UPS hub shipped all the phones to the rest of the country.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006

No. Mine looks exactly like my iPhone 3G.

Texas. June 17th.

I have a black 32GB iPhone 3G S.

4. When was it made? (check the third-fith #'s of your serial number)

Week 23

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Wait, your mad because the contrast ratio is better? Or because your iphone is actually defective and is yellow

my goodness people, there is even a huge thread I just found in the apple support site on the problem as well: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2048495&tstart=15&start=45

not that hard of a concept to grasp people!

Besides, if I paid $500 for a product absolutely I am going to complain if it's defective!

@The General@USC_Gamecock - Thanks for not complaining and helping!

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Yes.

Bought it in store.

16GB Black

4. When was it made? (check the third-fith #'s of your serial number)

Week 21 (May).

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Do you think this is normal?

3g3gs.jpg

It may well be that the screen tint should be "warmer" ... that isn't just warmer though. The whites aren't even white, the screen looks like a window that hasn't been washed in about 2 years.

BB15

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009

No

6/18, Tennessee

32GB black

Week 25

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
Okay so I'm thinking that I should have never read this thread because I do have the yellow tint but I really am thinking that it won't matter. But I'm not sure. lol

yes
PA
32GB black

BB15

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Okay so I'm thinking that I should have never read this thread because I do have the yellow tint but I really am thinking that it won't matter. But I'm not sure. lol
Haha, I hear ya. I read that thread about the "mushy" click button and then it started to annoy me, but I think I've gotten over it. Trying not to be too OCD!

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.

3g3gs.jpg

It may well be that the screen tint should be "warmer" ... that isn't just warmer though. The whites aren't even white, the screen looks like a window that hasn't been washed in about 2 years.

Neither of those is white, lol

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Just checked mine against my old iphone 2g 8gb model. The screen on the 3GS is yellow :(

Yes
Memphis, TN, shipped June 18th.
32GB Black

I guess I'm going to stop by the AT&T store Monday or maybe I'll wait.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
No, it looks white, not blue or yellow.
China, was in china the day before release
16gb white

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008

3g3gs.jpg

Both of those look equally bad, imo. It should be right between the two.

Granted, its just a phone so color accuracy isnt 100% important, but it should be pretty damn close for what they charge to get an iphone.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Granted, its just a phone so color accuracy isnt 100% important, but it should be pretty damn close for what they charge to get an iphone.

I agree for sure, but the 3G S doesn't just look "off" color-wise like the 3G, it looks like a dirty screen.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
It is very apparent that there are a bunch of new 3GS's out there with very warm screens/yellowish tint. It appears those shipped China have good screens, while those shipped from Tennessee have the yellow tinted screens.

Soooooo let's find out! Please list this info to help:

Thanks hopefully we can find out if it's just a certain batch or just randomly varies.

You say "let's solve this..." What exactly does that mean? Solve, as in go to China and tell the nice factory man about the problem? Start a boycott against week 25 iPhones from Tenessee? Even if you pinpointed yellow screens to one batch of phones, what is solved?

Unless you work in Apple engineering, or at the factory in China, you ain't gonna be "solving" much of anything.

1. As mentioned, iPhones are not made in Tennessee.

2. If you think collecting a smattering of users' stats on week number/ship date, FedEx vs in-store, etc. will lead you to an exact batch of iPhones with yellow screens that you can avoid by knowing the serial number range, you're wasting your time and the time of those who bother to post the stats you request. Attempting detective work like this with Apple products is almost always fruitless. Apple's production and distribution are just not that transparent.

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
You say "let's solve this..." What exactly does that mean? Solve, as in go to China and tell the nice factory man about the problem? Start a boycott against week 25 iPhones from Tenessee? Even if you pinpointed yellow screens to one batch of phones, what is solved?

Unless you work in Apple engineering, or at the factory in China, you ain't gonna be "solving" much of anything.

1. As mentioned, iPhones are not made in Tennessee.

2. If you think collecting a smattering of users' stats on week number/ship date, FedEx vs in-store, etc. will lead you to an exact batch of iPhones with yellow screens that you can avoid by knowing the serial number range, you're wasting your time and the time of those who bother to post the stats you request. Attempting detective work like this with Apple products is almost always fruitless. Apple's production and distribution are just not that transparent.

what is solved? Hmm i dunno, but maybe we would find out which general group is defected ergo we solved the question of which iphone's have yellow tints...really is it that hard for you to understand

Do you actually think I'm stupid enough to think iPhone's are made in Tennessee...NO, look here debby downer, some people got tracking #'s in which there iPhone was shipped straight from China(all be it through other states idk), where as others just got a tracking number only stating their iphone shipped from Tennessee.

Actually it is just like that.
A batch of the first gen ipod touch's had horrible contrast issues...customers on forums were able to pinpoint the exact batches defected via the serial number.
The first few 3G's shipped had a similar "yellow tint" issue, I'm not sure, but I am pretty positive they found the batches with the issues via serial numbers as well.

face it your wrong. now leave, you obviously don't care so why are you wasting your time whining for no apparent reason...

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
1. NO
2. June 18th, Memphis, TN
3. G3s 32gb Black
4. Week 24

My screen looks great, it looks like a natural white and the pictures even compared to my first gen iPod Touch look vivid and much more nature. The bluish display to me doesn't look as natural.

I am happy with mine! No exchanges or returns in my future! :)

In looking at mine and comparing it to a couple of iPod Touch's I've have to say mine is in that middle ground, it looks really white to me, not bluish and not really yellow, that photo seems to make that display look very yellow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.