Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
@alex_free Today I've tried your Tiger built today but I get an error in Terminal. Do I have to install anything specific? (on Leopard I didn't install anything additionally and it worked OOTB) Alternatively, could it work if I just copy the "libGlew.2.1.0.dylib" to "/opt/local/lib" ? I do however not have such path (yet). What shall I do about this? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 249

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
@alex_free Today I've tried your Tiger built today but I get an error in Terminal. Do I have to install anything specific? (on Leopard I didn't install anything additionally and it worked OOTB) Alternatively, could it work if I just copy the "libGlew.2.1.0.dylib" to "/opt/local/lib" ? I do however not have such path (yet). What shall I do about this? Thanks!
I just pushed release 3 to fix this, sorry for the oversight.

Reactions: netsrot39

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Will SM64 work on a G4 1ghz Titanium ?
Not sure how well it will work, you really need an OpenGL 1.3 GPU and I'm not familiar with the specs of that Mac.

@wicknix @z970mp @MacFoxG4 Just for kicks, I ran the latest panther release (search on archive.org) on the iBook G3 300MHz clamshell, and it "runs" (or should I say walks, because I'm not even sure it's over 1 FPS).
Picture 1.png
Picture 2.png

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Sad to say, but while SM64EX can run on Panther and Tiger, it intermittently stutters on occasion, and I honestly can not fix this other then saying only Leopard is supported. Jumped the gun a bit on this.

Maybe it really is because Leopard’s OpenGL drivers are so much better then Tigers... or that Leopard has so much better threading support... just confirmed this issue isn’t because of my mini as I got the iBook ‘05 yesterday which has one of the best GPU’s Apple ever shipped with a PowerPC (OpenGL 2.0 is supported on Leopard, Radeon 9550). 1.33GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon9550, still stutters on Tiger. The same executable, same build compiled on Tiger but ran on Leopard runs perfectly.

I have since updated the nightly build to state this info. On a brighter note, the nightly build does work perfectly on Leoapard with the Xbox 360 controller driver and my new iBook.

Last edited:

SnakeCoils

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2018
Italy
Hello Alex, I would like to replace my SDL 2.0.3 installation (from Kencu's) with your patched SDL 2.0.6 for PPC in my MacPorts installation so I could use it for new and updated builds of FS-UAE. From what I understand I should uninstall 2.0.3 and then compile and install yours (just to avoid conflicts). However it would be very nice to keep all inside MacPorts environment, do you think it would possible for you making a Portfile also for your 2.0.6 version like Kencu did for his 2.0.3 port? TIA!

Reactions: alex_free

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Hello Alex, I would like to replace my SDL 2.0.3 installation (from Kencu's) with your patched SDL 2.0.6 for PPC in my MacPorts installation so I could use it for new and updated builds of FS-UAE. From what I understand I should uninstall 2.0.3 and then compile and install yours (just to avoid conflicts). However it would be very nice to keep all inside MacPorts environment, do you think it would possible for you making a Portfile also for your 2.0.6 version like Kencu did for his 2.0.3 port? TIA!
Keep in mind that my SDL2.0.6 only works on Leopard due to some new Leopard only audio frameworks. If your not using SDL_queue_audio though, it should work on Tiger.

You could compile it as normal (will install to /usr/local) and as long as you specify -I/usr/local/include (CFLAGS) and -L/usr/local/lib(LDFLAGS) when compiling you should be ok. I've never made a port file, but If I get some time to do so I'd do it.

I'm here to answer any further questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnakeCoils

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
This is really cool. For the record, even Mac OS 9.2.2 is compatible with SDL 1.2.15 (need to compile from source, though, as only 1.2.13 was still distributed in binary form), as seen on this Macintosh Garden link.

SDL 1.2.15 compilation instructions via MPW (CodeWarrior also known to work).

The bigger question would be OpenGL - 1.2.x was the latest version, I believe. Not sure about 1.3. Is this enough?

Any other dependencies I am forgetting?

Reactions: G4fanboy

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
This is really cool. For the record, even Mac OS 9.2.2 is compatible with SDL 1.2.15 (need to compile from source, though, as only 1.2.13 was still distributed in binary form), as seen on this Macintosh Garden link.

SDL 1.2.15 compilation instructions via MPW (CodeWarrior also known to work).

The bigger question would be OpenGL - 1.2.x was the latest version, I believe. Not sure about 1.3. Is this enough?

Any other dependencies I am forgetting?
I was thinking the same. This actually works with as old as OpenGL 1.1 on Mac OS X.

With the retro68k tool chain, you can compile C++17 more then enough to compile the SM64EX port.

Only issue is rewriting GLEW. GLEW is in some of the code and that library was never on OS 9 as it’s slightly newer then the OS itself. That could be done but not by me.

SDL 1.2.10 and above work on Mac OS X, I just compiled with the latest SDL 1.

Then, one would have to get his all actually compiling correctly for OS 9.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Looking at the source of GLEW, it does seem like it was made purely for UNIX-like environments. It turns out it even is MachTen-aware on OS 9 PPC Macs! Not really "pure" Mac OS 9, though...

That makes me wonder what package managers, if any, would be MachTen-compatible, though...

In any case, GLEW seems like a Mac OS 9.2.2 showstopper. :( Unless if someone is really willing to program a replacement or somehow bypass the need for it...

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Looking at the source of GLEW, it does seem like it was made purely for UNIX-like environments. It turns out it even is MachTen-aware on OS 9 PPC Macs! Not really "pure" Mac OS 9, though...

That makes me wonder what package managers, if any, would be MachTen-compatible, though...

In any case, GLEW seems like a Mac OS 9.2.2 showstopper. :( Unless if someone is really willing to program a replacement or somehow bypass the need for it...
MachTEN isn’t gonna help us, it predates package managagers, GCC 3 (let alone GCC 4.8), and is $99 for the OS 9 version.

Another issue will probably be threading support in OS 9. There’s already threading issues in below leopard, although apparently some people can run this fine on Tiger (I can’t reproduce, game stutters all the time for me on less then Leopard).

The GLEW stuff can be rewritten by someone who knows OS 9 dev and how OpenGL works. But the only thing I’ve done OS 9 dev wise is port my own blackjack game written in C89.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Not sure how well it will work, you really need an OpenGL 1.3 GPU and I'm not familiar with the specs of that Mac.

@wicknix @z970mp @MacFoxG4 Just for kicks, I ran the latest panther release (search on archive.org) on the iBook G3 300MHz clamshell, and it "runs" (or should I say walks, because I'm not even sure it's over 1 FPS). View attachment 1689621 View attachment 1689622
Really? If this game can run on a slow G3, then surely it can run on a G4 Titanium 1ghz or any G4 running Leopard. I don't agree that a G3 would be better.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Really? If this game can run on a slow G3, then surely it can run on a G4 Titanium 1ghz or any G4 running Leopard. I don't agree that a G3 would be better.
Yea it doesn't actually require OpenGL 1.3, should work perfect for you on leopard

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Here is another question.. i bought a pair of small external speakers with 3.5 mm connector - when I tried to connect them to the titanium they did not work for some reason. Are there special speakers that work with the titanium ? My left speaker does not work, so this is why I got for 10 bucks small external speakers, but nothing happens. Port tested working with something else.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
I am currently working on SM64EXLC.app (SuperMario64EXLeopardCompiler.app). This will contain it's own internal LeopardPorts/MacPorts installation, and provide an AppleScript GUI with a point and click interface to compile SM64EX on Leopard into a portable SM64EX.app release on your Desktop. You will need to provide just a ROM file of SM64 to extract the assets, and the app will automatically build.

This is a workaround to make SM64EX very fast (all dependencies will be in the SM64EXLC.app, just SM64EX itself will be compiled) and easy to install without having to distribute pre-compiled binaries that already contain the copyrighted game assets. This sort of thing exists for windows and linux, but this will be better then all of those as nothing else on Leopard needs to be installed to use this app.

Last edited:

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
I am currently working on SM64EXLC.app (SuperMario64EXLeopardCompiler.app). This will contain it's own internal LeopardPorts/MacPorts installation, and provide an AppleScript GUI with a point and click interface to compile SM64EX on Leopard into a portable SM64EX.app release on your Desktop. You will need to provide just a ROM file of SM64 to extract the assets, and the app will automatically build.

This is a workaround to make SM64EX very fast (all dependencies will be in the SM64EXLC.app, just SM64EX itself will be compiled) and easy to install without having to distribute pre-compiled binaries that already contain the copyrighted game assets. This sort of thing exists for windows and linux, but this will be better then all of those as nothing else on Leopard needs to be installed to use this app.
SM64EXLC.app is now finished! This is the best way to play Super Mario 64 on your PowerPC Mac. You don't need to install anything, just download SM64EXLC and start building your own 100% portable SM64EX.app to your specifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.