Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017

Introduction

(Read in Tim Cook's voice)

It's safe to say that a great many users in the PowerPC community (used to) rely on Mac OS X Leopard regularly and leverage its useful features just as often. However, there are certain elements laced throughout the default user experience that have always personally bothered me, such as:

- A much lengthier OS install and update process than both Tiger and Snow Leopard

- Convoluted and non-comprehensive post-install optimization techniques with varying results

- The need to acquire apps, files, and other noteworthy downloads from several different places on the Web

- Higher process count, and therefore higher resource usage than Tiger, which equates to ...

- Slower overall system performance than both Tiger and Snow Leopard

- The mere fact alone that Snow Leopard was never released for the PowerPC architecture, despite its obvious capability

So because I for one think this computer architecture is among the greatest ever constructed, I decided to begin work on something much more unified to streamline and polish the core Leopard experience, which the concept of has been on my back burner for years, and although was partially accomplished in the past through the forms of AuroraTrimcelerator and AuroraSuite, I believe I can say with full confidence has finally, at long last, been 100% realized now.

sorbet.png

scripts.png

app store.png

safari.png

emoji.png

SolR15v2.png

Introducing Sorbet Leopard - 10.5 Unleashed.

Your Power Mac. Unleashed.

Overview

Sorbet Leopard can be thought of not only as something of an entirely new Mac OS X distribution, but also as an effective version 10.5 and 10.6 hybrid. This means that while the base system was built off of the rock-solid foundation of Mac OS X 10.5.8, as many parts and components as possible have also been transplanted from Mac OS X 10.6.8, in addition to custom updates, refinements, and performance optimizations having been bolted on. As a result, Sorbet Leopard boasts the following system refinements built right in:

o Improved startup times and application launch times

o Smoother graphical performance in most applications

o Faster network performance in all system operations

o PowerPC-optimized binaries

o Reduced disk activity

o Reduced CPU / RAM / disk usage

o Safari 11 with new security updates and performance improvements, QuickTime 7.7 Pro, Bash 4.3.30, and ntpd 4.2.8

In addition, Sorbet Leopard brings the following new features and enhancements to your Mac:

o A fully-featured live environment to boot into via FireWire or USB for performing administrative tasks separate from the startup disk

o A brand new PowerPC-focused app store showcasing the best-in-class applications for 10.5

o An accessible switch panel for quickly controlling various system functions and advanced settings on-the-fly without needing to manually resort to the command line

o Full support for the Apple Wireless Keyboard

o Full support for the Apple Magic Mouse + Momentum Scrolling

o Full support for Unicode 13.1 emoji characters*1

o 10.6.8 desktop pictures, user pictures, screen savers, Apple dictionary definitions, fonts, and apps

o 10.13.6 security certificates pre-installed

o Readily themeable to OS X Mountain Lion, macOS High Sierra, and iOS (4 through 12) system appearances right out of the box

o Universal ad blocking

Feature Showcases

Periodic Assurance

Utility Scripts

Snow Leopard Components

Performance Optimization

System Themes

The about Command

The Sorbet App Store

Revision 1.5

To Infinity and Beyond

System Requirements

o A PowerPC G4 or G5 processor

o 512 MB SDRAM or better

o A 16 GB Apple Partition Map-formatted partition or larger

o An OpenGL 2.0-capable video card is recommended

o An installation to flash-based storage is suggested

Statement

I would like to make absolutely clear that there are NO "free" and "paid" versions of Sorbet Leopard. Sorbet is, has always been, and always will be a freely available passion project made in earnest specifically for certain compatible models of the PowerPC-based Power Macintosh, intended to be used exclusively by the vintage Mac community. It was created with the express purpose of simply making life easier on these two-decade-old machines, and absolutely no other reason besides that.

That aside, due to running the risk of downloading potentially tampered or outdated images, I strongly advise against acquiring any builds of Sorbet Leopard from any sources other than either Macintosh Garden or the MediaFire backup mirror (also available on Macintosh Garden), which are the only locations at present where all hosted builds are officially maintained and updated.

Moreover, Sorbet Leopard does not contain any code, assets, or components from any builds of the recently discovered Mac OS X Snow Leopard early alpha whatsoever. The system components are comprised primarily of highly matured binaries / libraries found in the final releases of both Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.6.8, with the remainder portion being made up of newer community software.

And lastly, this software is provided on an as-is basis in the hopes that it might be useful. The author of this software is not responsible for your Mac imploding, exploding, or falling over due to user error. Eat, drink, and be merry, but please compute responsibly.

Thank you.

Special Thanks

The following users are recognized for their invaluable assistance in beta testing the various incremental development builds of Sorbet Leopard prior to its initial release on October 31, 2021:

@dextructor, @Melchieor, @NightlyH, @originaldotexe, @pipetogrep, @r34per

... As well as the many other users of this forum (and other forums) collectively responsible for the overwhelming support, encouragement, and publicity this project has received over the course of its existence.

I dedicate the hulking labor of love that is Sorbet Leopard to every last principled renegade out there who knows they do not and have never needed the newest apps, websites, or online-only services, and stubbornly refuses to purchase the latest $1k+ Big Tech tracking device in favor of keeping our beloved older machines and traditional computing values alive, in service, and useful to everyone's needs for as long as technologically possible, in the process helping to build an even more self-sustainable culture than what modern Apple's shareholder-controlled marketing team likes to endlessly repeat.

Keep on rocking, and continue being an inspiration to us all.

Download

Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5 - Only on Macintosh Garden

Reviews

"It can easily open 720p videos from YouTube with [a GeForce] 6600."
~ PowerfulEra

"It feels much better than Leopard and most websites do not bog down the computer AT ALL!"
~ k24a1

"Sorbet Leopard is a great package for regular people who just want to get the most out of their PowerPC Mac."
~ Doq

"This version of Sorbet is running so well! It is honestly mind blowing. I can multitask without issue. Safari is unreal! With the old version of WebKit and TenFourFox it took forever to open. The whole computer just struggled. None of that happens now!!!"
~ ww2_1943

"On my DC G5 it just flies, I forget at times I'm using 15+ year old hardware."
~ r34per

"This is absolutely fantastic work. Combined with a proxy running on my server to handle TLS, my iMac G4 feels like a completely modern machine - a little slow, but a machine that I am absolutely comfortable sitting in front of for several hours and never going 'gah, gotta remote into a modern Mac'. Exquisite!"
~ pyramidic.shallot

"Running and posting standardized benchmarks on a standard Leopard install and an install of your tweaks is the only way to give the above sales pitch any teeth."
~ B S Magnet

*1 InterWebPPC is required to view full emoji library.

More

If you like Sorbet Leopard, check out these other great projects ...

Minecraft PowerPC Edition, AquaWeb micro,
foxPEP / TenFourFoxPEP, reFlash (Flash Games and Videos)

Web 1.1 (The Renegade Net), Power Mac G5 Graphics Upgrade, Proactive Service Manual,
Intel ME / AMD PSP

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@TheShortTimer Typically, yes.

@casperes1996 Nothing of release quality has been done yet. However, most of the steps to materialize the above outlined results have already been planned in detail, so now it's just a matter of setting the concept into motion. As they are completed, all outstanding performance-related additions and modifications will be shared here over time, and once the final product is ready, a complete list of all changes made will be published for review.

Last edited:
View attachment 1793309

Doesn't Apple's WWDC21 banner look strikingly reminiscent of Leopard's default wallpaper?

-

... Anyway, it goes without saying that most of us use Mac OS X Leopard regularly and leverage its great features constantly. However, there are certain elements laced throughout the overall user experience that have always personally bothered me, like:

- A much lengthier OS install and update process than Tiger

- Convoluted post-install optimization techniques with varying results

- The need to acquire apps, files, and other noteworthy downloads from several different places on the Web

- Higher process count, and therefore usually higher idle CPU / RAM usage than Tiger

- Slower overall system performance than Snow Leopard

- The mere fact that Snow Leopard was never released for the PowerPC architecture

So, mainly as practice for a far larger endeavor that will remain undisclosed at this time, I decided to begin work on something much more unified to streamline and polish the core Leopard experience, which the concept of has been on my back burner for years, and although was partially realized in the past through the forms of AuroraTrimcelerator and AuroraSuite, I believe is finally being fully fleshed out now.

-

View attachment 1793311

Introducing Sorbet Leopard - 10.5 Reinvigorated.

Sorbet Leopard can be thought of not only as something of an OS X distribution, but also as a 10.5 and 10.6 hybrid, being built off the rock-solid foundation of 10.5.8, but with certain concepts, elements, and components also transplanted from 10.6.8. Unlike vanilla Leopard however, Sorbet Leopard will boast the following system refinements built right in:

o Faster graphical performance in select system applications

o Better disk and memory performance over long periods of time

o PowerPC-optimized code system-wide

o Reduced idle CPU usage

o Reduced OS size

o QuickTime 7.7 Pro, WebKit 604, Bash 4.3, and additional media codec libraries built-in

Also unlike vanilla Leopard, Sorbet Leopard will as of now bring the following new features and enhancements to the table:

o A fully-featured live environment to boot into via FireWire or USB for performing administrative tasks separate from the startup disk

o A featherweight app store

o An accessible switch panel for quickly controlling various system functions and advanced settings without needing to manually resort to the command line

o Restored support for the Harmon Kardon iSub 2000

o 10.6 desktop pictures, dictionary definitions, and more

o Readily themeable to newer OS X appearances right out of the box

o Toggleable ad, tracking, and fingerprinting domain blocking system-wide

-

In a departure from previous software releases, Sorbet Leopard will progress under an open development model, meaning anyone with hardware that meets the below system requirements and wishes to help beta test, bug fix, or tweak incremental builds from now until the final release has been made publicly available is welcome to do so by requesting to partake in a group private message for development coordination.

Additionally, certain milestones will be occasionally posted here for public review as new components are implemented and continually refined for assured reliability.

Sorbet Leopard will require a PowerPC G4 7450 processor or better, 1 GB RAM minimum, and a Core Image-capable graphics card (GeForce 6200 or Radeon 9550 and up) for best results. A USB 2.0 interface is strongly recommended.

A final release will be made in Fall 2021. Stay tuned!

Running and posting standardized benchmarks on a standard Leopard install and an install of your tweaks is the only way to give the above sales pitch any teeth.

Wow! Leopard is slower than SL? o_O

In my experience, Leopard is significantly slower — both from the Intel Mac angle and also running the early builds of Snow Leopard (10A96) on an A1138 PowerBook G4 with 2GB RAM and an SSD (and having an identical-spec 2GB RAM and SSD-equipped PowerBook G4 — A1139 —running 10.5.8). Snow Leopard was an under-the-bonnet refinement of the work begun with Leopard, and this is evident even in its earliest (even if buggy) iteration.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I would be happy to beta test this on my 1ghz Titanium and also DLSD 15 inch. This will prolong PowerPC capability even further. I welcome this with open arms. Count me in also :)

Reactions: z970
Has anyone benchmarked Snow Leopard PPC against Leopard or otherwise compared performance?

I haven’t considered to test SL-PPC with GeekBench or Xbench because these are generally OS-independent and test processor/memory/disk-related hardware functions.

What standardized test would focus on the operating platform and not solely on the hardware?

Reactions: Project Alice

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
It goes without saying that most of us use Mac OS X Leopard regularly and leverage its great features constantly. However, there are certain elements laced throughout the overall user experience that have always personally bothered me, like:

- A much lengthier OS install and update process than Tiger

- Convoluted post-install optimization techniques with varying results

- Higher process count, and therefore usually higher idle CPU / RAM usage than Tiger

- Slower overall system performance than Snow Leopard

- The mere fact that Snow Leopard was never released for the PowerPC architecture

So, mainly as practice for a far larger endeavor that will remain undisclosed at this time, I decided to begin work on something much more unified to streamline and polish the core Leopard experience, which the concept of has been on my back burner for years, and although was partially realized in the past through the forms of AuroraTrimcelerator and AuroraSuite, I believe is finally being fully fleshed out now.

-

View attachment 1793311

Introducing Sorbet Leopard - 10.5 Reinvigorated.

Sorbet Leopard can be thought of not only as something of an OS X distribution, but also as a 10.5 and 10.6 hybrid, being built off the rock-solid foundation of 10.5.8, but with certain concepts, elements, and components also transplanted from 10.6.8. Unlike vanilla Leopard however, Sorbet Leopard will boast the following system refinements built right in:

o Faster graphical performance in select system applications

o Better disk and memory performance over long periods of time

o PowerPC-optimized code system-wide

o Reduced idle CPU usage

o Reduced OS size

o QuickTime 7.7 Pro, WebKit 604, Bash 4.3, and additional media codec libraries built-in

Also unlike vanilla Leopard, Sorbet Leopard will as of now bring the following new features and enhancements to the table:

o A featherweight app store

o An accessible switch panel for quickly controlling various system functions and advanced settings without needing to manually resort to the command line

o Restored support for the Harmon Kardon iSub 2000

o 10.6 desktop pictures, dictionary definitions, and more

o Readily themeable to newer OS X appearances right out of the box

o Toggleable ad, tracking, and fingerprinting domain blocking system-wide

-

In a departure from previous software releases, Sorbet Leopard will progress under an open development model, meaning anyone with hardware that meets the below system requirements and wishes to help beta test, bug fix, or tweak incremental builds from now until the final release has been made publicly available is welcome to do so by requesting to partake in a group private message for development coordination.

Additionally, certain milestones will be occasionally posted here for public review as new components are implemented and continually refined for assured reliability.

Sorbet Leopard will require a PowerPC G4 7450 processor or better, 1 GB RAM minimum, and a Core Image-capable graphics card (GeForce 6200 or Radeon 9550 and up) for best results. A USB 2.0 interface is strongly recommended.

A final release will be made in Fall 2021. Stay tuned!
no NTP fix?

Maybe browser benchmarks? Transcoding video times, CPU use whilst watching video, gaming framerates?

Perhaps. Video playback would depend entirely on whether benchmarks use the same parameters for both versions of OS X. Because of Snow Leopard’s (when run on PowerPC Macs) limited hardware video decode capability for AGP GPUs (only a handful of NVIDIA cards, at most), the tests would need to run side by side with software acceleration.

Even so, I’m going to run a set of Geekbench 2.2.7 benchmarks, side by side, for each of 10.6 (10A96) and 10.5.8, from the same PowerBook, running from the same SSD (in two, equally-sized partitions), and running 2GB of RAM. Three benchmark/stress tests per OS can provide an average. I’ll post the raw results to the Snow Leopard for PowerPC thread.

[UPDATE: here’s a link to those results.]

already using it but cant do much since i cant code

I can’t code my way out of a shoe box.

Interesting results. Would you say Snow Leopard feels perceptibly faster or is it difficult to say as fresh installs usually always feel faster?

I can’t speak to that directly since the 10A96 build I’ve been running on this PowerBook (I re-installed on 1 May 2021) dovetails in all the testing I’ve done with the system — namely, bringing in selected kexts from 10.5.8 (which chronologically came out later) and moving in Frameworks which A) don’t break the system and which B) restore functionality (for things like QuickLook, or running the iSight FireWire camera in QuickTime 7.7.0).

Overall — both in the May 2020 and the May 2021 installs of 10A96 I’ve run, there are several minute but perceptible improvements in the UX with 10A96 which feels a tick clunkier with 10.5.8 (which is what I run on my PowerBook5,9, also 2GB and with an SSD). To put it another way, I now prefer picking up and browsing with the 10A96 Build on the PowerBook5,8 than with 10.5.8 on the 5,9.

Finder on 10A96 does have its issues of being an incomplete work (which I can mostly get used to, even if some of them can be annoying). In addition, 10A96 doesn’t enjoy the HFS+ compression which was a cornerstone of the retail Snow Leopard (its earliest appearance being in Build 10A190, which I’ve basically avoided using so far for a list of reasons, the amount of UB code stripped out being at the top). Even with the “alpha” nature of 10.6 at this early juncture, there are paradigmatic steps forward which help with the overall UX (slightly higher contrast in UX elements, tighter list view in Finder windows, and so on).

An overall conclusion, having used 10A96, is Apple could have built and carried out a Univeral Binary of Snow Leopard all the way through 10.6.8, and the later PowerPC Macs would not have suffered a penalty in the slightest; on the contrary, they probably would have benefited from the tidier code (at least at the 32-bit level).

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
Great news! I'm really looking forward to the live environment, this will be really cool.

Reactions: z970
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.