Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpoop

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2017
Guys there’s a pretty simple fix for this that has been the same every year. I assume Apple use warmer screens as it causes less stress to eyes (don’t know if this is true so don’t @ me lol).

How to fix this to your desired setting:

1) Turn off True Tone (assuming everyone already knows this step).

2) Settings > accessibility > display & text size > colour tint. Click the slider to turn filters on and select ”colour tint”.

Move the intensity to the lowest setting and move the hue up to around 75% (or whatever level for personal preference).

Screenshot of my settings added.

Hopefully this helps let me know of any questions/issues.

This didn't work for me at all. It made the screen look red/purple-ish.

OhPleaseHelp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2018
This is hideous. Surely this isn’t on purpose? This forum looks slime coloured without changing the colour filters.
12 Pro left, 11 Pro right
Picture taken on an iPhone 8
(It looks worse in person) 3D3BE7D6-9AD1-43F7-9BE3-50118012EBC2.jpeg

go3asy

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2019
Scotland
This is hideous. Surely this isn’t on purpose? This forum looks slime coloured without changing the colour filters.
12 Pro left, 11 Pro right
Picture taken on an iPhone 8
(It looks worse in person) View attachment 974448

This is how mine looked before the 14.2 beta. I don't have any way of taking a photo of it (sold my XR) apart from the FaceTime camera on my MBP but that it useless.

OhPleaseHelp

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2018
This is how mine looked before the 14.2 beta. I don't have any way of taking a photo of it (sold my XR) apart from the FaceTime camera on my MBP but that it useless.

I’m on the same beta and it’s not made any difference.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
This isn't software related is just variations of OLED screen production and it's within Apple's acceptable range, the same story for last year's 11 Pro/Max.

If you are unhappy, the only option is to return/exchange it and play the screen lottery game.

Reactions: klasma

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I went through this last year with several 11 Pros and noticed it right away again on my new 12 Pro. It's most noticeable in the first two pictures, especially the second where the colors don't even look the same. Unfortunately, Apple support wasn't really offering any warranty exchange options and even though I'm within the return period I would have to wait 3-4 weeks for a new one and I don't feel like doing that.

View attachment 974106 View attachment 974108 View attachment 974109 View attachment 974110

I think your phone is fine. Sure it's - slightly - warmer than your old one but I would not call it yellow or defective. If anything I'd say there is worse color shift at an angle on your 12 Pro. But head on it looks good to me. To each his own. For $1000 I want 100% satisfaction, I get it. I've returned / exchanged several iPhones in the past. But many of these photos of screens look just fine to me and really nitpicking.

Reactions: Bstephens

mrks.

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
I would definitely recommend the 14.2 public beta 4. Seen zero bugs so far it’s an A build and it deffo changed the colour profile of my screen.
I installed the public beta but sadly it didn’t change anything on my iPhone :-(
I also tried taking pictures but you really can’t catch that tint in a picture

Yougi

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
Okay so, I went to an Apple Store. I can confirm all iPhone 12s I have seen there had slight variations of this problem: some a bit yellow, some a tad bit yellow.
I have talked to an Apple Genius and his iPhone had an even more yellow tint to it than mine. He claimed "I don't see anything wrong with it" lol. He did acknowledge the greenish tint when at the lowest brightness level though! But as Apple has not (yet) acknowledged it, there's currently no fix to that particular issue.
In conclusion, don't worry if your iPhone 12 has a yellow/warm tint, it seems like it affects every (or almost every) iPhone 12 currently on the market. If it bothers you too much, return your phone. Otherwise just wait and see how the situation evolves. Apple might try to fix the issue in a future iOS update. In all cases, this problem is covered by the limited warranty so if Apple ever offers replacement phones you won't face any financial charges.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I wouldn’t say we‘re certain that it’s a defect. I tested it myself against a iPhone 12 and 12 Pro at a local market and also a 12 Pro of a friend of mine. All three were nearly identical warm. Another user also said he compared it to 10 other iPhone 12 and they were all as warm as his. This supports the „it’s a new color profile“ idea.
But then again I’m asking myself: why does the iPad Pro (2020) and Apple Watch (5. Gen) have a colder display?

It's not intentional. Someone says this every year. There are perfect screens in the wild, and some in this thread have gotten them. Those posters are long time veterans with this issue, so I know the screens they got are legit. I've also seen the correct screens on display at apple with my own eyes.

If your screen is warm and shifts neon blue off axis, you got one of the B grade panels. Take that thing back.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Okay so, I went to an Apple Store. I can confirm all iPhone 12s I have seen there had slight variations of this problem: some a bit yellow, some a tad bit yellow.
I have talked to an Apple Genius and his iPhone had an even more yellow tint to it than mine. He claimed "I don't see anything wrong with it" lol. He did acknowledge the greenish tint when at the lowest brightness level though! But as Apple has not (yet) acknowledged it, there's currently no fix to that particular issue.
In conclusion, don't worry if your iPhone 12 has a yellow/warm tint, it seems like it affects every (or almost every) iPhone 12 currently on the market. If it bothers you too much, return your phone. Otherwise just wait and see how the situation evolves. Apple might try to fix the issue in a future iOS update. In all cases, this problem is covered by the limited guarantee so if Apple ever offers replacement phones you won't face any financial charges.

It wont be fixed via software. People have made this claim every year for 10 years. The fact is, there is variation, and moreso at launch. Wait a while, get a good phone.

The perfect screen phones do in fact exist. It's been proven in this thread. The warm display phones will all be gone by this weekend, just like my OP states.

Yougi

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
It wont be fixed via software. People have made this claim every year for 10 years. The fact is, there is variation, and moreso at launch. Wait a while, get a good phone.

The perfect screen phones do in fact exist. It's been proven in this thread. The warm display phones will all be gone by this weekend, just like my OP states.
Who knows for the software fix? And even if it's never fixed via software just wait a few weeks, go to an Apple Store and ask for a replacement. No big deal in my opinion.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Who knows for the software fix? And even if it's never fixed via software just wait a few weeks, go to an Apple Store and ask for a replacement. No big deal in my opinion.

I know. Until Apple gives us a true white point calibration option, it will never be fixed via software.

The thing you arent getting is that these screens are within Apples tolerance range they set for manufacturing. I believe those tolerances are relaxed at launch. In either case, its within an acceptable range, so to them its not an issue.

It's up to us to reject these relaxed tolerances and only accept what matches the display models.

Yougi

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
I know. Until Apple gives us a true white point calibration option, it will never be fixed via software.

The thing you arent getting is that these screens are within Apples tolerance range they set for manufacturing. I believe those tolerances are relaxed at launch. In either case, its within an acceptable range, so to them its not an issue.

It's up to us to reject these relaxed tolerances and only accept what matches the display models.
I don't know I still feel like if you come back to an Apple Store in a few weeks and your display is much more yellow than the display units they would still offer repair or replacement.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
In conclusion, don't worry if your iPhone 12 has a yellow/warm tint, it seems like it affects every (or almost every) iPhone 12 currently on the market. If it bothers you too much, return your phone. Otherwise just wait and see how the situation evolves. Apple might try to fix the issue in a future iOS update. In all cases, this problem is covered by the limited warranty so if Apple ever offers replacement phones you won't face any financial charges.
Apple will never issue a complete screen replacement program for the entire lineup. Pretty much need to deal with it within the 14 day return window if unhappy. I would expect if you went back after that, the display would be deemed within specs.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I cant say this enough:

This only proves that the 2 phones she had are slightly warmer. This does not prove that ALL 12's are warmer, or that it's intentional.

It does look like at least one of her phones has the lower grade panel. Interesting how the blues drop off too, which means that even with the proper white point, the phone can still look off. This calls into question using just white point to measure a screens performance.

I've seen display models that match the cool whites of last years phones. Some vets in this thread have gotten screens with cool whites as well. So cool screened phones do exist. Or to put another way, phones that have the correct white point, but also have correct other colors as well, exist.

If you don't have a phone that exactly matches a good phone from last year, or the display models, take it back.

Reactions: decypher44

go3asy

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2019
Scotland
every year!
Yeah I’m certain it’s fine. I think it was a big change coming from LCD that originally jolted me and once that initial point passed its perfect. I could still swear it got better after the 14.2 beta install though it could just be that’s when I got used to it.

floriano8812

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2018
it‘s so annoying paying 900-1500€ for a smart phone with yellowish b panels.

Quality standards are really gotten worse in my opinion.

I still don‘t know if keeping the 12 or using my XS and rebuying a 12 with „better“ screen in weeks, maybe months.

rise_of_skylake

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2020
I cant say this enough:

This only proves that the 2 phones she had are slightly warmer. This does not prove that ALL 12's are warmer, or that it's intentional.

It does look like at least one of her phones has the lower grade panel. Interesting how the blues drop off too, which means that even with the proper white point, the phone can still look off. This calls into question using just white point to measure a screens performance.

I've seen display models that match the cool whites of last years phones. Some vets in this thread have gotten screens with cool whites as well. So cool screened phones do exist. Or to put another way, phones that have the correct white point, but also have correct other colors as well, exist.

If you don't have a phone that exactly matches a good phone from last year, or the display models, take it back.
Really great video. I hope she does the 12 Pro Max too. Notice how she says she doesn’t know if there will be variation. Under 6500k is shocking frankly. The XS Max has the best panel color in recent years with 6511K vs iPhone 11 6480K.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

Plus the screens are all varying a little bit from one unit to the other there is no silver bullet software fix that will magically universally adjust all panels to people’s liking, or not throw off ones that people are already happy with (whether they’re perceived as “perfect” or were never a perceived issue in the first place)

Frankly I’m jealous of people that wouldn’t know a “bad” screen if they had the worst offending one in front of them. Much easier to be ignorant on the matter

alisalem

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Plus the screens are all varying a little bit from one unit to the other there is no silver bullet software fix that will magically universally adjust all panels to people’s liking, or not throw off ones that people are already happy with (whether they’re perceived as “perfect” or were never a perceived issue in the first place)

Frankly I’m jealous of people that wouldn’t know a “bad” screen if they had the worst offending one in front of them. Much easier to be ignorant on the matter
Same! Because I'm too tech savvy and also work as a designer, I can't overlook this issue. I have 3 devices that are very close to each other and the iPhone 12 Pro that I just bought is piss yellow compared to them.

Neil J. Squillante

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
New York, NY
Reports are already surfacing of a classic annual tradition in iPhone land - the dumping of yellow tinted reject screens on unsuspecting consumers.

I'm returning my iPhone 12 Pro in part because of this issue but also because the phone is a bit unwieldy. I may get the iPhone 12 mini (keep in mind the "mini" has a larger display than the old "Plus" models). See my comparison of an iPhone 12 Pro on the left and an iPhone 11 Pro on the right. The first photo is with TrueTone and the second photo is without. I would describe the iPhone 12 Pro as washed out such that you don't get a true white, not so much that it's yellow. I doubt this is deliberate because a crisp white is a hallmark of a good display for reading. I suggest that no one waste their time adjusting Accessibility settings. You should not have to use those settings given the cost of an iPhone 12 Pro. Try the swap lottery or return it as I'm doing and see how things shake out.
TrueTone.jpeg

TrueTone-Off.jpeg

Hogster86

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2007
I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one annoyed with the yellow tint of their iPhone 12 Pro that they got last Friday ?

I used the online chat to speak to an Apple Support agent earlier today and they suggested to try 'restoring' the phone using this guide:

... which I'm pretty sure will make no difference at all.

So from the sounds of other posters here, all I need to do is go to an Apple Store within 14 days of delivery and ask for it to be exchanged?

I've had an iPhone 3G, 5, 6S, X and now the 12 and none of the others had any colour issues with the screen. I've also had an iPad 3, 4 and Pro and they've all been fine too ... but this iPhone 12 Pro is horrid! Every time I look at it the colours look far too warm / greeny, and no amount of fiddling with True Tone (which generally makes it even worse), Night Shift, or the 'Color Filter' option in Accessibility makes it comparable to my X which had a beautiful screen – and something I would have at least expected to be matched by the 12 given it's a newer phone with, presumably, newer screen technology.

I want to love this phone and everything else about it is amazing ... but the screen is just not acceptable!

Thanks for your help!

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.