Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
If it doesn’t match the display phone, which is what Apple is putting forth as a representation of what the phone should be like, then it’s defective right?
You’re wrong—displays vary!

People like you cause unnecessary costs by exchanging fully functional phones. Besides the unnecessary economical costs that this stupidity causes, there’s so many unnecessary resources waisted with these exchanges.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Most people have no clue what D65 white point looks like. If you own a tv, and dont have the color temperature set to Warm 2, then you are not use to correct white, and prefer the overly blue whites.

Yep you are right. Just like everyone making this argument has been right for the past 10 years.

Listen carefully. This issue is that some phones will not match the color profile/temperature of the display phones. They will have much yellower screens, with lower brightness levels. This is not in reference to a normal 12 or 12 Pro. This is in reference to a portion of those phones, that dont match the display units color temperature.

There is panel variation. If you get a bad panel, take it back, return it.

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
Compare to an Apple Display Phone

Use the same test criteria to compare to an Apple display phone. It either matches or it doesn't. If it doesn't, RETURN THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY.

Even the most blind Apple fanboi can admit - if it doesn't match the display phone, it must be defective.
This is false.
Display phones have a higher minimum brightness (they can't get as dim) locked down in the settings so on the same brightness most likely the display brightness won't match up.

Reactions: orbital~debris

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
This is false.
Display phones have a higher minimum brightness (they can't get as dim) locked down in the settings so on the same brightness most likely the display brightness won't match up.

Doubt this is true, but if it is then just adjust brightness to be approximately the same. Tint/temperature is what we are looking for.
[automerge]1603462481[/automerge]
An option for those with a yellow screen that don't want to go through the return/replace process with the hopes of getting a better display can follow the steps on the following link to see if it is of any help:

This is not a real fix, it puts a new layer of color on the screen distorting other colors. Apple needs to give us a true calibration setting for temperature.

This is a great shot of an iPhone 10 with this same tint/issue though. I'm not lying when I say this is an issue every year. Most 10's did not look like that.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
You’re wrong—displays vary!

People like you cause unnecessary costs by exchanging fully functional phones. Besides the unnecessary economical costs that this stupidity causes, there’s so many unnecessary resources waisted with these exchanges.

Oh cool so we agree! Displays vary you are exactly right. And if a display doesn't match a persons expectations, or strays too far from the reference display phones, its defective, take it back.

Reactions: Kent viggo

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Yep you are right. Just like everyone making this argument has been right for the past 10 years.

Listen carefully. This issue is that some phones will not match the color profile/temperature of the display phones. They will have much yellower screens, with lower brightness levels. This is not in reference to a normal 12 or 12 Pro. This is in reference to a portion of those phones, that dont match the display units color temperature.

There is panel variation. If you get a bad panel, take it back, return it.
You should also be telling people if their phones have a bluer tint to return their phones too. I would bet the vast majority of phones sold have white points closer to 7000 or 8000. No screen is perfect. In fact its extremely rare to find a screen that is D65 accurate, even the professional grade monitors that movie studios use. Even they have to be calibrated professionally to produce perfect colors and a perfect white point.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Interesting how many people commenting are dismissing the OP's points and opinions. I bet when the US pre-order owners start getting theirs and report the same problem, commenters will not dismiss their complaints and change their stance in that there is a problem.

I am just tired of people trying to start a new "x-gate" and blow issues way out of proportion. Yes there will be defects, but "yellowgate" occurs every damn year. But I am sorry, I do buy the fact the majority of the yellow could be just need to wait for the glue to finish drying. As I stated before, my 11 Pro Max was yellow compared to my XS Max. My XS Max was yellow compared to the X. How can my XS Max be now be blue tint compared to 11 Pro Max if my XS Max was defective? Same with case with my 7 Plus, 6 Plus, 5, 4, and 3G. I did not go through any exchange process( outside of the 5 due to the frame discoloration issue which I ended up keeping my original as the replacement discolorations was far worse). So how did my yellow screens turn blueish after getting the new phones later on?

I see this behavior every where on MR now. When the 2020 iMac was released and the 5700 XT was having an occasional white line glitch and after some testing was clear to be a software glitch had people getting feverish over it saying people need to stop buying the 2020 iMac, going " OMG 35 DAYS WITHOUT A FIX!!!!", why isn't Apple acknowledging the issue, Apple sucks, you name it. Well 10.5.7 fixed the issue. People just need to calm the F down......

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
OLED is an emissive display. Red, green and blue pixels degrade at a different rate. In fact, blue degrades faster than the red or green pixel. So over time the white balance will shift. So what you see day 1 with your phone will not be the same on day 100. So with no way to accurately calibrate the screen, your phone will either look better or worse over time depending on the white balance out of the box.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Oh yaaaaaaa, back to this **** again. Hopefully I struck gold with my first batch today.

Gimme that near neutral color temperature that’s perfect for True Tone. Plus, I want mild color shifting as well

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
You should also be telling people if their phones have a bluer tint to return their phones too. I would bet the vast majority of phones sold have white points closer to 7000 or 8000. No screen is perfect. In fact its extremely rare to find a screen that is D65 accurate, even the professional grade monitors that movie studios use. Even they have to be calibrated professionally to produce perfect colors and a perfect white point.

Sure. If it's too blue, take it back as well.

If it doesnt match the reference devices, which are Apple display units, it's defective. End of story.
[automerge]1603464149[/automerge]
I am just tired of people trying to start a new "x-gate" and blow issues way out of proportion. Yes there will be defects, but "yellowgate" occurs every damn year. But I am sorry, I do buy the fact the majority of the yellow could be just need to wait for the glue to finish drying. As I stated before, my 11 Pro Max was yellow compared to my XS Max. My XS Max was yellow compared to the X. How can my XS Max be now be blue tint compared to 11 Pro Max if my XS Max was defective? Same with case with my 7 Plus, 6 Plus, 5, 4, and 3G. I did not go through any exchange process( outside of the 5 due to the frame discoloration issue which I ended up keeping my original as the replacement discolorations was far worse). So how did my yellow screens turn blueish after getting the new phones later on?

I see this behavior every where on MR now. When the 2020 iMac was released and the 5700 XT was having an occasional white line glitch and after some testing was clear to be a software glitch had people getting feverish over it saying people need to stop buying the 2020 iMac, going " OMG 35 DAYS WITHOUT A FIX!!!!", why isn't Apple acknowledging the issue, Apple sucks, you name it. Well 10.5.7 fixed the issue. People just need to calm the F down......

You got used to it my man. To believe the dumb glue myth is to believe that only Apple uses glue that goes on yellow, and dries clear over time. Somehow every other cell manufacturer on earth has figured out how to use clear glue but Apple. Lol.

Reactions: decypher44

Kent viggo

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
Sweden
Ok so heres an example, shot with my iPhone 8.

On the left is the iPhone 12 pro at 100% brightness.

On the right is my iPad 12.9 pro 2018 at 100% brightness.

Both devices have their true tone turned off.

In real life the iPhone doesnt look pink, and the iPad doesnt look green, this is just how the iPhone 8 sees the image as it tries to find a white balance that mediates between them. It doesnt get the white balance right, hence these somewhat "off" colors.

IF the screen were the same, however, there would not have any difference in color between the two devices. They would both look a bit pink, or a bit green, determined by what white balance was shown.

The iPad 12.9 has a perfect screen, in my opinion. In fact its a replacement unit that I got becasue the previos 12.9 that I had showed an uneven tint.

When holding my iPad 12.9 near my calibrated computer display, I see little difference. The iPad is a little little bit bluer than my screen, but not enough to really care about.

When holding my iPhone 12 pro near my calibrated computer display it is blatantly yellow.

It remains to see if this is due to:

1. A "yellowgate" - as mentioned in this thread it would be Apple sending out units that are way outside a predetermined tolerance / deviation from a target white balance - due to Apple wanting to please customers and get their deliveries on time, even though this means that they are shipping units that they know havent passed testing

2. The white balance on the 12 pro OLED is deliberatley set way towards yellow, for some reason.

I find the latter a bit harder to believe, as it is a "pro" device, markeded towards "pros" and photographers who have needs for correct colors due to the nature of their work.

Also, the iPad is perfectly calibrated, as this is also a pro device that is even more markedet towards graphic design/photo editing/color sensitive work.

Attachments

• mac rumors.jpg
    mac rumors.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 633

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Well I have owned a boat load of iPhones since the 3G and I have never had a bad screen. Not once so....... Also, no one I know who has owned an iPhone has ever complained about the screen.

Just saying.

Congrats, you should start buying lottery tickets.

Heads up, every year someone smugly says this, they end up with a yellow phone that year. Karma.

Reactions: decypher44

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
^ that's weird the screen protector is quite a bit bigger than the screen but obviously still for the 6.1"

never seen that before

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Ok so heres an example, shot with my iPhone 8.

On the left is the iPhone 12 pro at 100% brightness.

On the right is my iPad 12.9 pro 2018 at 100% brightness.

Both devices have their true tone turned off.

In real life the iPhone doesnt look pink, and the iPad doesnt look green, this is just how the iPhone 8 sees the image as it tries to find a white balance that mediates between them. It doesnt get the white balance right, hence these somewhat "off" colors.

IF the screen were the same, however, there would not have any difference in color between the two devices. They would both look a bit pink, or a bit green, determined by what white balance was shown.

The iPad 12.9 has a perfect screen, in my opinion. In fact its a replacement unit that I got becasue the previos 12.9 that I had showed an uneven tint.

When holding my iPad 12.9 near my calibrated computer display, I see little difference.

When holding my iPhone 12 pro near my calibrated computer display it is blatantly yellow.

It remains to see if this is due to:

1. A "yellowgate" - as mentioned in this thread it would be Apple sending out units that are way outside a predetermined tolerance / deviation from a target white balance - due to Apple wanting to please customers and get their deliveries on time, even though this means that they are shipping units that they know havent passed testing

2. The white balance on the 12 pro OLED is deliberatley set way towards yellow, for some reason.

I find the latter a bit harder to believe, as it is a "pro" device, markeded towards "pros" and photographers who have needs for correct colors due to the nature of their work.

Also, the iPad is perfectly calibrated, as this is also a pro device that is even more markedet towards graphic design/photo editing/color sensitive work.

Excellent post. You are right on, its not intentional. I have 10 years of experience on this issue and can say that a large % of the initial batch will be out of tolerance.

Reactions: Kent viggo

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
On Launch day, some if not all Display phones will also be yellow. Invariably, within 4 days of launch, they will all be swapped for pristine, 100% non yellow phones. Swear to god as my witness. 100% chance they will be swapped.

Sounds like a rather unlikely conspiracy to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.