HELP! Gill Flukes, Ick, Fungus? What is it!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Ok if you have not been following my other two threads ("Help! Gill sowllen" and "Healthy fish V. Sick fish") here is the back ground:
I added fish to a new tank that had completed a fishless cycle. Within a day or two, one gourami got white spots. I called the lfs, they suggested I treat for ick. I treated with Nox ICH and the fish died in two or three days, although there did seem to be some clearing of the white spots. A week or so later, one of the gouramis had a swollen (swelling extends down from the underside of the gill to the underside of the fish), irritated looking gill, I could see the red of the gill along the lower part of the gill. I began treating with heat/salt incase the gill had ich where I couldnt see it, also, because it was explained to me that I needed to do this to get rid of any remaining ich that the other fish may have left behind to avoid a future out break. So six days later, the gill is still swollen, but I can no longer see the red because there is a white mass/growth along the opening of the gill. It prodrudes a bit and appears bumpy not smooth. And thinner in some places, thicker in others. I have not seen the fish flash. He is eager to eat. spends some time in a cave, but also still comes out and swims in the open. He does not appear to be breathing rappidly as comparied to the gourami who looks healthy but sometime he goes to the surface for a gulp of air. I do not think the gill is hanging or moving too fast. On about the second day, I though I saw a bit of slime coming form the gill, but I havent noticed any thing since then except the growing white mass. His poop does seem long and pale, but I really haven't had him long enough to know what is normal.

All water peramaters are within normal range.
I could not get the water temp higher than 81* F.

The tank is 37 gallons. All of the fish came form the same store on the same day. The opaline gourami is the sick one. There is also a dwarf gourami - the other dwarf was the first to die, a ropefish, and a snail.

Thats it. Help if you can. Thanks.

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Just saw flashing with the irritated gill.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
I'd guess a parasite of some sort. Could very well be gill flukes. You could try treating with something like PraziPro.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
maybe theres something in the water thats killing them. are you sure the ammonia you used is pure ammonia? no additives that are not listed?

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Well, if it's not listed, I don't know if it's there or not, but there is the growth. Even if there was something in the water, I don't know why it would cause one gill out of all of the fish to become swollen and develop a growth.

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
white mass is about 2-3 mm across

1d.jpg 2a.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store