• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Neolamprologus Brevis Pair For Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Neolamprologus Brevis Pair for sale, $40.00 OBO.

RSdBZlg.jpg

AHCXmEX.jpg

wBg1ht3.jpg

Jelimafish

CCA Members
I just did a water change and apparently they started breeding, I scared a fry out of its shell. It is hard to see and no clue how many there are but here is the best photo I could take.

DxuIf2s.jpg

Jelimafish

CCA Members
They are definitely fun fish except for the shock of them attacking my hand like 2" Great Whites. The way their coloration can change is also interesting to watch. The female does not change much but the male can get almost white or have a dark head with a tan body and stripes which usually occurs when stressed. The only current issue is that the Brevis do not seem to be good parents like the Similis but I am not sure if this is the way that all Brevis are or if they get better over time. Should I remove this lone little fry? I have a HOB breeder box that I could use. He is just hiding for dear life under the larger shell which I just added because the XL Escargot shell did not seem large enough for breeding. He just sits very still in the shadows which is vastly different from the outgoing Similis fry. There could be more in there because he swam out of the females old shell but so far is the only one I have seen but she is now fanning over the larger shell and not letting the male close so I am not sure if they bred again or if the other fry are inside the shell. This definitely puts a kink in my plans to focusing only on the Similis but I guess it is not a bad problem to have ;)

Leffler817

CCA Members
I left my with the parents they did fine. I used the escargot shells too and mixed in other sizes like turbo, ramshorn, whale eye, and threw in my old nerite shells. Dad can’t eat them if they find the tiny shells. Lol

Jelimafish

CCA Members
This is true, I did spot another fry this morning so that make 2 at least. I have a bunch of smaller whale eyes that I am going to toss in to give them some more hideouts. They just look sad just sitting on the sand trying to be as still as possible but they are surprisingly quick when they get startled. I wish I knew how many were in there but I guess eventually I will know. The adults definitely bred again and I am hoping that I get some more fry to raise up and auction off. I still need to find the pair a new home but I guess for now I will hold onto them to see how many fry I can get :D

chriscoli

Administrator
Brevis are awesome, and those are great photos!

They aren't really "colony" forming Shellies, so once the fry are out of the shell, they're sort of on their own. If they have enough cover, they'll do fine.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
They aren't really "colony" forming Shellies, so once the fry are out of the shell, they're sort of on their own. If they have enough cover, they'll do fine.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! That explains a lot. I have now spotted 3 fry in total all hiding in different areas which means there may be many more that I just have not seen. I have added some much smaller shells and may even add some rock and plants just to up their chances a bit. After I successfully raise a batch of fry then I will have CCA auction off the fry and rehome the adults then move onto something new. I would like some gold Lamprologus ocellatus, some rock dwellers, or something completely different.

Jelimafish

CCA Members
Is there a way I can delete this thread? Also, I have found 5 fry so far and really would like to use this air driven HOB breeder box for them but what is the best way to catch them? Should I siphon with a net in a bucket or lay small pvc in the tank at night and try to empty them in the morning and just go by chance? The Male will definitely eat them as soon as they make a mistake.

aceofspades

You are still selling them, yes? I'm in search of Neolamprologus brevis. I do need to redo my ten gallon tank in order to make room for this pair, so if someone else wants it, that is okay.

Freakgecko

Members
Watching them like a hawk to find you at least one girl! Pretty sure the smallest is. Everyone else is growing and bickering, but this one is the same size and stays to itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.