Geophagus brasiliensis tankmates

ChuckCichlid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Henderson, NV
I have the opportunity to get a 6" brasiliensis. Before I make my decision I wanted to know what tankmates I can add with him (6 feet 125 gallon tank)

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
‘Geophagus’ brasiliensis are not true geos and will likely be reclassified one day. They are large (10” males), boisterous fish with attitudes more similar to CA cichlids or green terrors. I’d keep them with larger, sturdy tankmates who can hold their own. They seem to do well in semi-aggressive cichlid setups, provided you give them enough room.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I have had brasiliensis and found them to be more like a central american cichlid than a geophagus. I would treat them the same way I'd treat a mid-sized CA cichlid. They are tolerant of pretty wide ranges of water parameters, which has allowed them to become invasive in places like Florida. If you are looking to do a community of cichlids, it will be a balancing act, and depend on the individual fish as much as your choices, so it is difficult to tell you tankmates that will work other than to recommend trying some mid-sized central american cichlids. Some general tips are; 2 is usually a bad number, I would try with 4-5 cichlids, don't add one at a time, change up scape when adding new fish, have another tank on running for refugees. if you go this route; cichlid communities are very rewarding but usually take some fiddling with to get the balance right, and even then it could change very quickly.
Or you could keep a single or pair of the Brasiliensis with non-cichlid tankmates, which would be easier. Large tetras like Buenos Aires, or any number of other smaller-midsize south american fish would work. Could do the (large) tetras and some catfish like pictus.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with the above.
You may want to question why it was given up.
If it was simply because it out grew the previous owners tank, no problem?
Or was it because it killed all the previous owners fish?
There may be extenuating circumstance with the above though, maybe kept in too small at tank, or with inappropriate tank mates.
These cichlids come from southern Brazil, and Uruguay where temps are a tad more temperate than many of the more tropical species, and if it was kept too warm, that might account for any unchecked aggression.
I kept mine at room temp, around the 70sF and one pair spawned outside, in a pond in Wisconsin at temps in the mid to high 60sF.
The braziliensus clade is slowly being broken down into a number of separate species, and (as Ryan said, may be put in a different genus).
I have kept 2 species, the normal/generic braziliensus, and what is now G iporanguensus (below) defending their territory against a much larger tank mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store