White algae on red Moor root wood

Izard-industries

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2010
Somerset
My 5 foot tank has been set up for about a month now. Currently have 10 Congo tetras and 3 silver dollars.

About 2 weeks after it had been setup once the red Moor root had sunk and fish were added it started getting a white algae growing on it. I've just a nitrate test and results were fine. But just to be on the safe side I have just performed a 30% water change hence why a lot of the algae is floating about.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
My mopani wood did the same thing at first. I put in some ghost shrimp and they ate it.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Its normal for new driftwood to do this. its harmless and will go away after a while. A bushy nose pleco will take care of it in a matter of days!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
not a problem, and FYI its bacteria not alga. again nothing to worry about. if you pull it up and smell it, it will smell like as&, as stated pleco,s love it and will go away in a few weeks.

MikebNJ

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
The Swamps of Central Jersey
This fungus is one of the oddest out there that frequently pops up in driftwood/spiderwood. You can even bake the wood or boil the wood and it can still appear. It is completely harmless. It will die out eventually, or be eaten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store