anyone know what a fireworm really looks like?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1612236611472.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand the red filaments near the bristles is an indication of a fire worm. I believe the red filaments are part of the worms gills.
I'm pretty sure those are fireworms not normal bristleworms.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been a long time since ive seen a worm i could say is possibly Hermodice, congratulations on this

take a close look at his face, does it have this structure of frilly growths on the head?
1612295675065.png

if the answer is yes, i'd say you got fireworms. There's not much risk in having them around if you dont have corals to be eaten

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also you don't happen to live around central jersey? i wouldn't mind having bona fide fireworms

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been a long time since ive seen a worm i could say is possibly Hermodice, congratulations on this

take a close look at his face, does it have this structure of frilly growths on the head?
1612295675065.png

if the answer is yes, i'd say you got fireworms. There's not much risk in having them around if you dont have corals to be eaten
i'll see.. not sure I am going to get that close to its face..

Melodydavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1612295675065.png

ok, nope! Not gonna put my face anywhere near that, LOL!

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.. i checked mine.. they didnt have that weird rooster face.
Interesting, where did you encounter them, new rock, already in the tank? Most Amphinomidae worms have a caruncle of some sort it is used by professionals to differentiate species, even the beneficial Eurythoe has a form of it (it is not branched and layered, just a simple thin projection that overlaps i think 3 segments if i remember correct). Hermodice has a large prominent caruncle usually nearly as wide as its length, with deep folds

Attachments

• Hermodice_carunculata_r.jpg
    Hermodice_carunculata_r.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 130

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Caruncle is not the easiest to spot. the coloration is generally a giveaway but moreso, fireworms are identified by their heavier body and much more pronounced bristles – being a clearly visible white. Fireworms often have a reddish color on the outskirts of their bristles. A fire worm looks like a centipede with its elongated and flattened appearance, multiple segments, white silks, and parapodia and gills located on the side of its body.

1612318144045.png

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, where did you encounter them, new rock, already in the tank? Most Amphinomidae worms have a caruncle of some sort it is used by professionals to differentiate species, even the beneficial Eurythoe has a form of it (it is not branched and layered, just a simple thin projection that overlaps i think 3 segments if i remember correct). Hermodice has a large prominent caruncle usually nearly as wide as its length, with deep folds
my tanks are decades old reincarnations.. some rockwork just keeps moving from one to another and additions and subtractions. but over the years i have had likely thousands of bristle worms, but some of the silver big guys are somewhat pretty but also equally ugly.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tanks are decades old reincarnations.. some rockwork just keeps moving from one to another and additions and subtractions. but over the years i have had likely thousands of bristle worms, but some of the silver big guys are somewhat pretty but also equally ugly.
do you own any corals or have you ever had any corals damaged? The silvery color is a form of aposematic coloration to tell would be attackers "back off or I'll give ya a prick".
Caruncle is not the easiest to spot. the coloration is generally a giveaway but moreso, fireworms are identified by their heavier body and much more pronounced bristles – being a clearly visible white. Fireworms often have a reddish color on the outskirts of their bristles. A fire worm looks like a centipede with its elongated and flattened appearance, multiple segments, white silks, and parapodia and gills located on the side of its body.

1612318144045.png
as long as you get a close enough shot the head piece is one of the most prominent of all Amphinomidae caruncles. Even its scientific name alludes to an outstanding caruncle by calling it Hermodice carunculata. It so happens this one is also a voracious eater and tends to get fairly beefy compared to some other species. The reddish branching tissue on the sides is not necessarily unique to this worm (though it is seen as red on most specimens of the bearded fireworm). not saying that op doesn't have bearded fireworms, just saying innocent till proven guilty and even when guilty of being a bearded fireworm they don't eat every type of coral sold in the trade and seem to have a notable preference for sps like Acropora when they do eat corals. A side note Hermodice is not compatible with echinoderms such as sea urchins and some starfish, and will actively take edible species as food

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back