DIY Aquarium stand for 125 gallin reef

rusk1y1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started building my first DIY stand for my 125 gallon I picked up and I wanted some extra input on the design.

1st question is, if the 2×4s on top and bottom are completely straight and level do I still need plywood on top for the tank to sit on?

20160722_145443.jpg

SJ-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this way you can use a foam pad to cushion the bottom of the glass plus I like knowing every square inch is supported along the bottom of the glass.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started building my first DIY stand for my 125 gallon I picked up and I wanted some extra input on the design.

1st question is, if the 2×4s on top and bottom are completely straight and level do I still need plywood on top for the tank to sit on?

20160722_145443.jpg

I would. The biggest reason is that even if it is straight and level when you build it not all wood (especially 2x4's) stay straight after you build with them. Unless you purchased kiln dried 2x4's and seal them with some kind of poly/varnish it is possible that they will warp and swell a bit. The weight of the tank should keep that from being much of a problem but the plywood and foam would be a nice insurance policy.

Nice build by the way, that looks solid!

OP
OP
R

rusk1y1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank y
I would. The biggest reason is that even if it is straight and level when you build it not all wood (especially 2x4's) stay straight after you build with them. Unless you purchased kiln dried 2x4's and seal them with some kind of poly/varnish it is possible that they will warp and swell a bit. The weight of the tank should keep that from being much of a problem but the plywood and foam would be a nice insurance policy.

Nice build by the way, that looks solid!

Thank you!

Yes I didn't get the cheapest 2×4's but I got the next step up (quality wise) so they aren't spot on 100% perfect I got them as aligned/straightened as I can by myself.

I'll post some pictures when I get home of what I'm a little concerned about and might redo.

Any advice on making it as flat as possible cause some of the wood has a natural slight bend but when I was putting it together I thought the weight of the tank would fix that problem. The more I look into it the more paranoid I'm getting about it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on making it as flat as possible cause some of the wood has a natural slight bend but when I was putting it together I thought the weight of the tank would fix that problem. The more I look into it the more paranoid I'm getting about it.
I think the weight of the tank will fix any issues with that. The foam and plywood will just help distribute the load more evenly minimizing any pressure points on the glass.

OP
OP
R

rusk1y1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the weight of the tank will fix any issues with that. The foam and plywood will just help distribute the load more evenly minimizing any pressure points on the glass.

Any recommendations on how thick the plywood should be? And what kind of foam are you referring too?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on how thick the plywood should be? And what kind of foam are you referring too?
If I were building it I would go with 1/2".

I've seen people recommend the Corning Owens insulating sheets (1/2" thick) that you can get at Home Depot or ordering neoprene. Some people get the blue high density craft foam boards. I've even seen yoga mats recommended. Then again, some people will tell you that using a foam sheet is a mistake. Some aquarium manufacturers require a foam layer to maintain the warranty. I'd differ to more of an aquarium expert than myself for the pro's and con's of each.

OP
OP
R

rusk1y1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My work let be get some free pallets so I stripped them down and used them to skin the stand

Sanded and currently in the process of staining it all while being able to put in/remove my 48" sump

20160731_114733.jpg

20160731_114650.jpg

OP
OP
R

rusk1y1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were building it I would go with 1/2".

I've seen people recommend the Corning Owens insulating sheets (1/2" thick) that you can get at Home Depot or ordering neoprene. Some people get the blue high density craft foam boards. I've even seen yoga mats recommended. Then again, some people will tell you that using a foam sheet is a mistake. Some aquarium manufacturers require a foam layer to maintain the warranty. I'd differ to more of an aquarium expert than myself for the pro's and con's of each.

Alright I'll look into it more thank you for the advice!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I missed it, we're missing some crucial information regarding your tank. glass or acrylic? flat bottom or plastic trim? the answers to these questions will determine if you need a sheet of plywood and/or foam.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I missed it, we're missing some crucial information regarding your tank. glass or acrylic? flat bottom or plastic trim? the answers to these questions will determine if you need a sheet of plywood and/or foam.

Would have been my questions exactly.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need nor should you use foam if it is a standard framed tank. But 100% use a sheet of plywood. I use 3/4" sheet on both the top and the sides. That stand is big-time overbuilt! Like a tank! So you could probably skip the sides. For future reference, you would have been better off using a 2x6 as your top frame. With a 2x6 you do not need any center supports. With the way you built, you don't either. That is what I did on my 125g stand. Don't attach your plywood to the top until you put the tank on it and fill it. On mine I had a small gap in the center which was corrected by using shims between the plywood and the stand. Once it was trued up, I screwed it all down.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op said the top is completely straight, therefore if the tank has trim then no plywood is needed. but I would absolutely do a test fit. and FYI, plywood would have been sufficient for a stand this size.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op said the top is completely straight, therefore if the tank has trim then no plywood is needed. but I would absolutely do a test fit. and FYI, plywood would have been sufficient for a stand this size.

I disagree with this. Untreated and non-kiln dried lumber 100% will move. Plywood will not. Plywood is cheap insurance to guarantee a permanent, smooth, flat surface with no stress points for his several thousand dollar investment sitting on top of it.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I thought I had read it was kiln dried and not green.

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue with this stand and not putting plywood on the top and sizes is the sheer effect. Coming from a construction background and the weight of that tank around 1000 pounds your tank is gonna have some sheer movement. Think of it like a patio cover built with 4 posts cemented into the ground but the structure is not attached to a house or anything. When it gets windy, someone leans up against it, the earths plates move, it does too.

I am not saying it will fail as it looks well built, those are just a few areas I would see as issues if any. Hope this helps

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue with this stand and not putting plywood on the top and sizes is the sheer effect. Coming from a construction background and the weight of that tank around 1000 pounds your tank is gonna have some sheer movement. Think of it like a patio cover built with 4 posts cemented into the ground but the structure is not attached to a house or anything. When it gets windy, someone leans up against it, the earths plates move, it does too.

I am not saying it will fail as it looks well built, those are just a few areas I would see as issues if any. Hope this helps

While plywood would add to its ability to withstand sheer forces, he has substantial corner bracing and cross bracing already. I would recommend plywood anyway, but maybe not for that reason.

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While plywood would add to its ability to withstand sheer forces, he has substantial corner bracing and cross bracing already. I would recommend plywood anyway, but maybe not for that reason.

Again in my opinion the height and narrownish of th stand is where the sheer issues come into play. But face it in most average house holds, the likely hood of there being. A sheer issue is small. The only factors I would say are in play is if the house is not well built, Stand is not level and plumb or the overall height allows it to sheer. I would still always lean to plywood. On stands I do not intend on sheeting, I build metal ones instead out of tubular steel.

OP
OP
R

rusk1y1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input everyone!

My tank is standard trimmed glass.
I'm will be getting plywood for sure.

Buil I have a baby girl on the way and will be coming into the world next month! So I've been busy getting everything ready for her arrival :)

I'll keep everyone posted on the build as it gets closer to being done.

So far i picked up PVC for the return and drain plumbing, and detailed the entire tank (i got it for dirt cheap cause the glass had really heavy water stains but i used "barkeepers Friend" and got it looking brand new again. Picked up plasti dip and dipped the back of the tank black. Have 300 pounds of dry rock I'm going to pick out the good pieces and build a solid structure on my free time. I'll post lots of pictures!

20160820_200646.jpg

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back