Huge red mithrax crab

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I got what I thought was a red mithrax crab in some live rock a few months ago.

I just came back from a business trip and saw it for the first time in a while...

It's huge!!! It's probably two inches across and it's claws have gotten massive.

Is this thing safe to keep in my DT? I could maybe relocate it to the sump if I can catch it...

PXL_20211221_225708600.jpg

PXL_20211221_225703498.jpg

OP
OP
captain_jimmy

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big do they get? I read on the interwebs that they get to 1-2" and this has grown an inch in the last month and is easily 2" I'd say!

It's mind blowing how quickly it's grown.

I came home from my trip to a bunch of algae covering my rocks :)mad:) so I wonder if it has been gorging itself?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say leave it alone. I thought Reefcleaners sent me a Gorilla crab or something, LOL, as my Ruby Mithrax grew. I have found that they seem to grow quicker than a Emerald crab, though they are of the same Genus.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thats a big boy !! I never trust these things but do hear of some being model citizens

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My regular emerald was a menace…I’ve read that the reds are worse on average, but if your’s has gone this long no problems, then I wouldn’t worry.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big do they get? I read on the interwebs that they get to 1-2" and this has grown an inch in the last month and is easily 2" I'd say!

It's mind blowing how quickly it's grown.

I came home from my trip to a bunch of algae covering my rocks :)mad:) so I wonder if it has been gorging itself?
The red one I had was a beast too. They do seem to get bigger than the green ones.

OP
OP
captain_jimmy

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmmm I'm just checking out my tank and I see a little red mithrax crab as well as this guy.

I was pretty sure I only had one so I think this might be a different crab.

Can anyone ID it and whether it's reef safe? I saw it snap at a cleaner shrimp I just added but in fairness the shrimp was kinda harrassing it with it's feelers...

OP
OP
captain_jimmy

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I managed to get it in a net and put it in the sump until I know just what it is.
PXL_20211223_212737032.jpg

I think he ripped a polyp off on of the frags in that rack and ate it. Maybe it was algae attached to the plug but I don't think so...

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks everyone.
It's in my sump absolutely macking all the algae down there so I think it's grand for now. Perhaps I'll move it back up to the DT at some point.

Appreciate the comments cheers.
I miss mine. He randomly died one day. I actually saw him die - he just kind of fell over! I’ve been waiting to get more until my new tank was up. It’s up as of this week so I’ll probably get some new critters in the next couple of weeks

OP
OP
captain_jimmy

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss mine. He randomly died one day. I actually saw him die - he just kind of fell over! I’ve been waiting to get more until my new tank was up. It’s up as of this week so I’ll probably get some new critters in the next couple of weeks
Good stuff. Shrimp are cool too.

I just got 5 new emeralds and 3 shrimp today, my clean up crew had thinned out a lot.

The tank looks so much more interesting with a bunch of invertebrates cruising around.

I kinda wanna go nuts getting more shrimp.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently at 2 for 2 Mithrax crabs eating corals (well, not eating, but snapping off the polyps while they're closed at night) Caught one red-handed, the Zoa colony in question went from 10 heads down to just 4 in a single night, and the closed polyp heads were swaying in the sand just below the crab. The first one did the same to some firework clove polyps. So, no more mithrax crabs for me. I have a Spotted Porcelain/Anemone crab who has been a model citizen and never leaves his Carpet Nem.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff. Shrimp are cool too.

I just got 5 new emeralds and 3 shrimp today, my clean up crew had thinned out a lot.

The tank looks so much more interesting with a bunch of invertebrates cruising around.

I kinda wanna go nuts getting more shrimp.
I plan on getting some peppermint shrimp as I have some aiptasia. I love inverts. I have a fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp. Halloween hermits and a strawberry crab. I had a porcelain crab I loved but he died so I’d like to get another of those too.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back