Is this what I fear it is, Red Planaria Flatworm?

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210719_155841.jpg
20210719_155819.jpg

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're multiplying quickly in my 200g+ tank.

Noticed them really getting out of control when I ramped up lighting and started overfeeding for nutrients.

Plan is to ramp light's back down AND slow nutrient input, but not sure if this will help control their population or are more aggressive measures needed at this point.

I only have LPS and Softies, which have not been bothered by them YET so I'm hoping I have time to let them naturally diminish if I keep lights and nutrients in check?

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed them really getting out of control when I ramped up lighting and started overfeeding for nutrients.

Plan is to ramp light's back down AND slow nutrient input, but not sure if this will help control their population or are more aggressive measures needed at this point.
Lights aren't going to affect their population. Somehow they got introduced to your system, and nothing is present to stop them from growing.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights aren't going to affect their population. Somehow they got introduced to your system, and nothing is present to stop them from growing.
My understanding is they are photosynthetic.

Their rapid population growth was correlated to ramping up my lights, but also my attempt to raise nutrients in the tank.

This is why I plan on dialing both back to try and help control their population.

In my next large WC, I will siphon up as many as possible too.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're multiplying quickly in my 200g+ tank.

I only have LPS and Softies, which have not been bothered by them YET so I'm hoping I have time to let them naturally diminish if I keep lights and nutrients in check?
i think the best way to go about this is a multi-pronged approach. you can try

- reducing nutrients/lighting to starve them
- introducing a predator
- using a commercial product like flatworm exit (beware that these critters release toxins when they die, but these products tend to be very effective)
- manual siphoning

if i were you i might try to reduce nutrients and siphon them out for a few days to get rid of a chunk of the worms and then use flatworm exit to kill off the rest.

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is they are photosynthetic.

Their rapid population growth was correlated to ramping up my lights, but also my attempt to raise nutrients in the tank.

This is why I plan on dialing both back to try and help control their population.

In my next large WC, I will siphon up as many as possible too.
Ah. I see. Yes it is their main source of "energy"...but not the only. So you'll have to take more steps than just lowering light. That's what I meant. As long as you have a plan in mind, you can win the battle...but it's not going to be easy.

melfy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springeri damsels are known to eat flatworms. They are beautiful and peaceful. I have one in my tank. Love it!!

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how long the toxins stay in the water after they start dieing?

I turned down the lights and reduced nutrients in hopes of slowing or reversing their advance, but, will they start dieing off like this? And if so, are they releasing toxins that will build up in the water?

I plan on doing my regular monthly 30% WC. Should I consider running some GAC as well?

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give advice on best system or technique for siphoning these out of the sand??! I've tried the RODI and airline tubing method, but sand keeps getting stuck in the tubing and will make it impractical for a 200g tank with 100+ lbs of sand and surface area.

With the larger Python cylinder for sand cleaning, the flatworms just tumble in the cylinder with the sand and don't actually get sucked out, so that didn't work either.

I'm starting to think my only option will be to go with Flatworm exit, but I was hoping to first get as many of them siphoned out before dosing, but doesn't look like that will be practical.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back