Red Planaria flatworms?

LiftedLaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some help would be appreciated.....obvious mistake....I was out of coral dip and got some mushrooms....now 2 weeks later these are all over the place never noticed them before the mushrooms were introduced. They arnt deep red but more of an off white pinkish color...
20211106_184334.jpg
20211106_184311.jpg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look more like the "white" flatworms to me. A wrasse will help keep them in check but normally they only bother coral when they're in such high numbers they block light to the coral.

OP
OP
LiftedLaser

LiftedLaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look more like the "white" flatworms to me. A wrasse will help keep them in check but normally they only bother coral when they're in such high numbers they block light to the coral.

Okay I mean they are definitely more of a pink/red than images of the white flatworms I saw trying to research what they may be. I appreciate the information! They are for sure smaller than most images I saw of Red flatworms but I'm a pretty new reefer so sort of panicking. My stocking I'm working on getting this tank ready for are a mandarin goby, pistol shrimp/goby pair. Undecided on what else but I guess wrass is on the list and first now.

16365655894494804683198906732760.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be the picture but they don't look like the red ones to me either. The red and the white (which I've heard called ghost planaria) are very similar. Neither are much of a problem until they multiply so much that they smother everything.
A melanarus wrasse (or a spotted mandarin I'm not sure which) quickly killed them from my display tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiftedLaser

LiftedLaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be the picture but they don't look like the red ones to me either. Neither the red or the white (which I've heard called ghost planaria) are very similar. Neither are much of a problem until they multiply so much that they smother everything.
A melanarus wrasse (or a spotted mandarin I'm not sure which) quickly killed them from my display tank.
Awesome well I really appreciate it would a I think dragonette blenny work too or not because they primarily hang out on the glass and not the rock?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome well I really appreciate it would a I think dragonette blenny work too or not because they primarily hang out on the glass and not the rock?
I've read that the spotted mandarin may eat them, but I'm not sure about any other species. For me it was either my spotted mandarin or my melanarus that eats them. I'm not sure which fish because I added them at about the same time. My guess would be the melanarus though.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that the spotted mandarin may eat them, but I'm not sure about any other species. For me it was either my spotted mandarin or my melanarus that eats them. I'm not sure which fish because I added them at about the same time. My guess would be the melanarus though.
My mandarin doesn’t touch them, I would try the melanarus or sixline

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels of the genus Chrysiptera eat them, the springeri in particular. My old starcki loved them.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin doesn’t touch them, I would try the melanarus or sixline
What type of mandarin is yours? I've read it's only the spotted (Synchiropus picturatus), and even then like all fish it's hit or miss. For all I know mine doesn't eat them either and it's all the melanarus. I've never observed either fish actually eat one.
I'm to the point where I don't think I'd ever have a tank without a melanarus wrasse. They're probably my favorite fish.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of mandarin is yours? I've read it's only the spotted (Synchiropus picturatus), and even then like all fish it's hit or miss. For all I know mine doesn't eat them either and it's all the melanarus. I've never observed either fish actually eat one.
I'm to the point where I don't think I'd ever have a tank without a melanarus wrasse. They're probably my favorite fish.
Mine is the scooter type, I wish I could rent the spotted mandarin from someone to test haha maybe I’ll try the damsel next

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i had these in my sump/refugium at one point. introduced a yellow coris wrasse in my tank and have actually never seen another one ever again. did the wrasse make a difference? perhaps, but i am curious as to why or how they just died out in my sump.

i did read however, that the spotted mandarin AND yellow coris wrasse do eat this specific flatworm. not sure if they eat the red, though.

OP
OP
LiftedLaser

LiftedLaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had these in my sump/refugium at one point. introduced a yellow coris wrasse in my tank and have actually never seen another one ever again. did the wrasse make a difference? perhaps, but i am curious as to why or how they just died out in my sump.

i did read however, that the spotted mandarin AND yellow coris wrasse do eat this specific flatworm. not sure if they eat the red, though.
I will probably go with a yellow Coris or a 6 line. But with that I only have a blue chromus temporarily to help keep a bio loaf. So if a wrasse is the first arnt they sort of aggressive/ territorial?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I will probably go with a yellow Coris or a 6 line. But with that I only have a blue chromus temporarily to help keep a bio loaf. So if a wrasse is the first arnt they sort of aggressive/ territorial?
YMMV, but yellow coris wrasse are peaceful fish. have not seen mine attack any other fish as of yet.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these for years. For sure not red planaria. Red have the three point tail while these have two point. I've tried nearly all the fish suggested with no luck. I'll knock them off the glass and they swim around, fish will take them in and spit them out. Yellow coris, melanurus, vrolik's, spotted mandarin and springeri. May have to try a scooter blenny. Don't want to risk a six line wrasse as I want a peaceful tank. I even tried flatworm exit at elevated strength. No luck.

OP
OP
LiftedLaser

LiftedLaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to a scooter blenny have had great success in my tank. But would recommend a refugium. I couldn't imagine a dragonnet surviving long without one
Yeah I did end up getting a drogonette as I have plenty of pods at the moment and can pretty easily replenish/supplement them. As well as I got a six line. But will end up returning or rehoming it too a friend. Just to try and solve this issue we shall see. Thank you all for your input and help greatly appreciated.

Back