Stomatella Snail?

thomygirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
So, if you need a good laugh, here's one for you... I was doing a water change and saw a strange looking critter I'd never seen before. It looked like a snail who lost it's shell. So I picked it out and put it in a container for closer inspection and left it alone while I finished. Then I was thinking "this poor guy lost his shell, he's probably going to die if I put it back in there.... I'll just feed it to my brittle star, it'll make a nice little snack." Well, when I tried to give it to the star, he said, "no way!" It quickly attached itself to the front glass and scurried away. Amazingly, I opened up my Reef2Reef app and the first picture I saw was identical to my strange little critter! A stomatella snail, and they're beneficial?? Yay!!! So glad the star didn't eat it

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a tan and two black ones randomly while disassembling some live rock lol

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Mine have metallic red shells but they only come out when lights are out

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EF2B5BF3-848B-4306-9C21-26680571136A.jpeg

Stomatella’s ?
you stress too much the one in the middle, it took off his tail to protect it self (like stomatella snal do, when they are stressed and running away by predators, they "cut off" them 1/3 flesh/tail which keep moving for a while, during this time the stomatella snail run away or hide it self in a hole.

Regards: SHNICI - Georgi

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you stress too much the one in the middle, it took off his tail to protect it self (like stomatella snal do, when they are stressed and running away by predators, they "cut off" them 1/3 flesh/tail which keep moving for a while, during this time the stomatella snail run away or hide it self in a hole.

Regards: SHNICI - Georgi

Happened to me yesterday, I wasn’t expecting that!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back