advertisement

Advice on hifi racks

Tim F

pfm Member
Hey all,

Seems like there are a tonne out there. I need a wide rack (60cm+ width 40cm depth) to put a record deck on top and two large shelves for big power amps. My current Quadraspire's wooden top shelf is bending under the weight of the deck, this is a pain so I want to do something about it! In the sensible price range what do you recommend? Was often reading that glass is a poor material as it rings. I will buy second hand.

Cheers, Tim

Tim
I use Hutter, which was an ‘audiophile’ choice back in the days before Naim made their Fraim. It seems to have had its day as far as dealers are concerned but you still see it sold on the used market - MickyRicky just sold a stack. It’s very well made (mine accommodates a Vitus integrated - 43kg) but 60cm sounds wide for anything made for hifi. If you insist on used you might need to look wider at more general (well made) furniture.

Materials gto in and out of fashion, and so do the stories about glass ringing, real wood channelling vibrations, composites killing the music, composites damping undesirable vibrations, fairy dust being better than magic cones, etc. They all well for loose change second hand. Buy one you like near you.

Thanks all

Lebowski, I'd be after a rack like the one on the left but with two large shelves. So sorry it won't work.

It's my VPI record deck that's particularly wide, it has a separate and rather massive motor unit.

Will take a look at Hutter.

Isoblue will give you the dimensions you’re after. You may need the extensions if you have tall boxes and/or want more isolation/heat dissipation. They appear on the used market occasionally.

I have a spare Kudos Corinthian tower, shelf size 450mm wide by 380mm depth, 5 tier support in total.
There may even be some spare shelves.

You can run electrical connections through the tower itself, via right angled IEC plugs or bypass that option altogether and connect conventionally.

The tower is very very heavy and would require pick up.

Can be had for a reasonable offer as I need the space, collection from the Scottish Borders.
Please PM me if interested.

Thanks all

Lebowski, I'd be after a rack like the one on the left but with two large shelves. So sorry it won't work.

It's my VPI record deck that's particularly wide, it has a separate and rather massive motor unit.

Will take a look at Hutter.

Talk to HiFi Racks, I got them custom made to my sizes and I think both came in just over £1000.

The hifi racks stuff just screws together so you can buy additional shelves or different legs to adjust the heights etc.

The ones I had previously were the reference which are much thicker and they occasionally pop up on eBay so keep an eye out.

£1000 !!
can buy a lot of stuff for that, look at used, seriously, you can get good racks for a few quid.
Ive got a target welded steel rack, had granite shelves made. My choice. A lot less than £1000.
look at coffee tables, that sort of thing. get 2 the same and screw them together ?
Soundstyle used to be very expensive, very well made wooden legs with glass shelves, can be had for little. Ive got a spare one if anyone wants it
online adverts are a good place to look, usually lots of pictures to help you decide.

It's very true that you can get used racks for less than the price of the steel in them. I missed out on the tripod designed Soundstyle rack, there was one being sold here and I couldn't raise the guy when I was at the right end of the country. He couldn't give it away at £40, I think it eventually went for £30. I would have taken his arm off.

Avid IsoRak might fit the bill, 650mm wide if I remember right. Challenging to find second hand though I did see some on Gumtree in the Croydon area maybe a month ago, too far for me, might still be around?

This is good gear too, I noticed at Cranage show back in June, excellent designs, wide and deep models too but unlikely to find second hand for a while as it's quite new.

http://www.lateralaudiostands.co.uk/

Apart from the effects of the total load, a shelf will only bend if it is loaded away from the edges, towards the centre. As most hifi has feet, their weight will be mostly towards the edges/ends, if anything does not have feet, fit something. Even a flat-bottomed case covering most of the width of a shelf cannot possibly cause bow - the moment the shelf bowed, the load would shift to the ends/sides/cheeks of the amp' or whatever. What you do not want is a shelf/shelves significantly wider then the boxes of electronics.

"Apart from the effects of the total load, a shelf will only bend if it is loaded away from the edges, towards the centre. As most hifi has feet, their weight will be mostly towards the edges/ends, if anything does not have feet, fit something. Even a flat-bottomed case covering most of the width of a shelf cannot possibly cause bow - the moment the shelf bowed, the load would shift to the ends/sides/cheeks of the amp' or whatever. What you do not want is a shelf/shelves significantly wider then the boxes of electronics."

Yeah I know but my deck is in two parts! So it is bowing. Big separate motor.

I don't want to buy new or spend a lot it would seem unnecessary given the amount of cheap used stuff about.

waxkinglyrical thanks for the kind offer, unfortunately I'm in Bedford without a spacious car!

Steve's advice is solid (pun, etc...)

For sheer vfm the original Sound Org two tier tables do it for me, and can be had for chip-money. But alongside that, my non-TT kit sits on a John Lewis coffee table that I'm perfectly happy with. If it doesn't move, personally I think it only needs to be on something solid and roughly level that looks nice.

My conservatory system boasts Ikea Sten made into a 3 shelf rack 80 cm wide, 50cm deep. Looks great. Cost buttons.

Mikemusic the only Creaktiv rack I can see on Ebay is >£3000!

Looks...
Not seen one like that before. Looks like it has extra legs.
Think the list on my quite big 4 shelf was about £2500 but I got it way less as a demo.

I know someone who got a different range to mine, 3 or 4 shelf for £400 ish.
Creaktiv Trend 1 rack

advertisement

Back