Author Topic: Application Menu Settings KDE  (Read 757 times)

Offline penguin

• Eureka! It's PCLinuxOS!
Application Menu Settings KDE
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »
Hi.
Some questions about cosmetic of Application Menu.
Seems that Application Menu in KDE (cascade menu) is tricked. The fonts are a litte bit larger and the distance between the lines of Application names is big.These makes menu too large. Comparing to Application Menu Settings (GeckoLinux OpenSUSE - Next KDE), seems that some functions are missing (example show icons of applications names ) . It is any way to revert to the original values or minimize menu ?

Distinguish the difference as follow:

PCLOS

Gecko NEXT

Also Application Launcher cannot be resized by Left+Alt + Right Click Mouse.

Thnx in advance.

Offline ternor

• KDE Plasma 5
Re: Application Menu Settings KDE
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 05:19:42 PM »
My menu is more like your 'Gecko' menu.  If you unlock widgets you can "Show Alternatives".  I have "Application Menu"; perhaps you have one of the others.  Are you talking about an "Application Launcher" on the panel?

Offline kjpetrie

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Super Villain
  • Cogito ergo qui est?
    • K J Petrie
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »
Open System Settings and choose the fonts you want. As for the classifications of applications in the menu, that's chosen by the packagers when they write the .desktop file for the application, and the developers (in our case probably Tex) choose which classifications the distro will use.

In other words, distros differ in their choices. That's what makes them different.
KJP
-----------------------------------------------------------
PClos64 KDE on AMD 5700X on A520M DS3H (Rev 1.0), 32GB RAM, Asus EN210 (nouveau) GPU,  3 Kingston and one OC-Z SSDs, Amilo LSL 3220T & TMT 19558MT monitors.

https://www.kjpetrie.co.uk/

Offline Texstar

• Administrator
  • Super Villain
  • Spring, Texas
    • PCLinuxOS
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 08:14:46 PM »
The menu is set up the way the majority of PCLinuxOS users want. I changed it once to look similar to the gecko menu and got beat up over it.

Offline penguin

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 11:12:28 PM »
Agree. My intention was not to ask community or Tex to change it. I can change it based on my laptop and needs. Would be happy to know (without making a extensive search) how to reset values to the original KDE configuration values. Which is configuration file that need to be changed.

I tried yesterday to change fonts also Antialising based on Gecko Configuration ( as experiment) and I did not arrive to have the same result. Seems that KDE has many hidden tricks that are not so easy to be revealed by a simple google search. I restored to my PCLOS in a couple of minutes by qt4-fsarchiver.

Anyway... if is so complicated or just people like/use configuration simply because they accept what is decided or because are not able to go further in the depth.---

As I said in my previous posts. KDE gets my interest to see how is changed and what revolutionary features brings as desktop.
I want to understand and be able to change configuration based on my needs before install/recommend KDE and PCLOS to another one.

Thanks, for you time.

Offline penguin

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 11:17:20 PM »
The menu is set up the way the majority of PCLinuxOS users want. I changed it once to look similar to the gecko menu and got beat up over it.

Tex....are you beated over it ? Shame who has gone against you and what you have done.
Meanwhile is no so cosmetically correct when one click on Application Menu an it open covers nearly all left sight of the laptop.I am talking for a laptop screen 1366 * 768.

Thanks for your contribution,effort and time.

But I think that I can use  KMenuEdit, to modify things.Some of the entries can be shaved off.I will experiment today.I played with text yesterday. Hope KMenuEdit offers to save configuration before changing it(so one can revert all back). As I noticed some days before, the  KMenuEdit did not offers possibility to enable/disable hide/unhide entries.

Offline ternor

• KDE Plasma 5
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 03:17:31 AM »
FWIW, this is my application with launchers appended to the left.  It may be a hangover from the original default Darkstar theme which was dark.